Saturday, October 12, 2013

Birthday Girl

It's time for this week's poem.

The past several years have been eventful for me, with experiences and discovery spanning life's highs and lows. My dad, at the age of 80, was diagnosed with end stage lung cancer. It took less than a year to claim his life.

Last year I came to the realization after decades of marriage, that it absolutely was not serving me, and I found myself navigating through separation and divorce. It did not go well. But today I am free and living authentically.

Yesterday was my birthday, and on a flight to my hometown, I looked out the window, and the sky, as it often does, reminded me of my dad, whom I adore.


Sky

Landscape mosaic below me,
Sparkling blue with infinite haze before me,
My mind turns to you -
What lies in your day today?
The time space continuum molts and pulls-
Instead of "today", there is: always.
Do I please you?
I hear your voice, expressing your love and pride in my life's work: my family.
It is still in my heart - dread and fear no longer reign.
Your joy in me, your love, is -
It always will be.
Now I know.
Dadems, I miss you - the bittersweet lies at opposing axes.
I know.


For more Weekend Writing Warriors submissions, go here.

My view as I wrote the poem:


6 comments:

  1. That is absolutely beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who has lost someone they care about can relate. This tugged on my heart strings. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Millie. The grief has evolved for me into love and warmth towards the universe. Thanks for stopping by!
      R

      Delete